- Why should I join the Speaker Sisterhood?
- I don’t want to be a public speaker. Is Speaker Sisterhood for me?
- What’s the difference between Speaker Sisterhood and Toastmasters?
- Who can become a member of Speaker Sisterhood?
- May I attend a meeting for free to see what it’s like?
- I’d like to visit a club. What can I expect when I get there?
- Do I have to speak if I’m a guest?
- What do I need to do to prepare for the meeting?
- When are meetings held?
- What does it cost to join Speaker Sisterhood?
- Is the Speaker Sisterhood a speaker’s bureau?
- How do I visit a meeting?
Why should I join the Speaker Sisterhood?
Speaker Sisterhood clubs offer a unique space where like-minded women take a journey of self-discovery through the art of public speaking. By becoming a member, you will not only be a part of a dynamic, supportive and remarkable community, you will:
- Increase your confidence and comfort while speaking in front of groups
- Improve your listening skills and ability to give constructive feedback
- Learn to respond with ease and grace when put on the spot
- Develop the ability to initiate and navigate difficult conversations
- Grow your self-assurance while selling, pitching and negotiating
- Enhance your skills for podcasting, webinars and interviews
You’ll gain access to:
- Your own copy of “The Secret Life of Speaking Up: A Guide for Using Public Speaking as a Tool for Self-Discovery”
- A seat in your home club along with up to fifteen women
- A members-only library of public speaking tools, videos, worksheets and exercises
- Discounted rates for special Speaker Sisterhood programs
- Guest attendance at other clubs
You’ll sharpen key skills including:
- How to plan a great talk or story
- How to avoid fillers such as “um” and “like”
- How to think on your feet
- How to speak without using notes
- How to identify and work on your specific speaking goals
I don’t want to be a public speaker. Is Speaker Sisterhood for me?
Women join Speaker Sisterhood for a variety of reasons — to sharpen their public speaking skills and boost confidence to share their voice or to simply be part of a supportive community built on empowering women. We designed our curriculum to help guide our members on a journey of self-discovery through the art of public speaking.
What’s the difference between Speaker Sisterhood and Toastmasters?
Speaker Sisterhood is a network of speaking clubs created exclusively for women. While sharpening public speaking skills is one of our program’s benefits , our curriculum focuses on guiding our members as they discover, awaken and create their voices through the practice of public speaking.
Who can become a member of Speaker Sisterhood?
Anyone over the age of 18 who identifies as female can join a Speaker Sisterhood club. To become an official member, you first attend a club as a guest, and then check with the club leader if she has space available. Next, new members complete the enrollment process:
- Fill out the Speaker Sisterhood enrollment form
- Pay the monthly $47 membership fee to the club leader
Please see the Club Leader for more information on how to complete this process.
May I attend a meeting for free to see what it’s like?
You may visit any club one time at no charge to decide if Speaker Sisterhood is the right fit for you.
I’d like to visit a club. What can I expect when I get there?
- You’ll meet up to 15 women who will become your personal community of support
- We begin the meeting by welcoming everyone, and inviting members to introduce themselves (up to one minute to share your name, where you’re from and something like, “why you decided to join us”)
- We all participate in a brief warm-up exercise; it’s fun, easy and gets us all connected and ready to go
- Next, we have featured speeches from up to five members. Following each speech, the group provides a round of verbal and written feedback. Each speaker selects what type of feedback she wants right before her speech.
- Everyone who didn’t give a featured speech gets to present a short, impromptu speech (two or three minutes). It’s very casual, fun and low-pressure
- We wrap up the meeting with a request for volunteers to speak at the next meeting and open the floor for any questions/announcements
- What else you can expect: You’ll smile, feel connected and be changed by the experience
Do I have to speak if I’m a guest?
No, speaking is optional as a guest. We love it when our guests participate, but it’s not required. You can observe and see if the club is a good fit for you.
What do I need to do to prepare for the meeting?
Show up with an open mind, be ready to meet some remarkable women and get ready to have some fun!
When are meetings held?
Speaker Sisterhood clubs hold 20 meetings per year, up to two times per month. Depending on the needs of the club, Club Leaders may opt to skip certain months or host only one meeting during exceptionally busy vacation/holiday seasons. Email the Club Leader for a list of her scheduled club meetings.
What does it cost to join Speaker Sisterhood?
- The monthly membership fee is $47. See your Club Leader for more information.
Is the Speaker Sisterhood a speaker’s bureau?
No. Speaker Sisterhood is a training company that gives members the chance to experience and learn public speaking in a safe and supportive environment.
How do I visit a meeting?
If you plan to attend a meeting, simply send a quick email to the club you’re considering, so the leader will be on the lookout for you at the next meeting. See the full list of clubs.